Principal Engineer – High Speed Optoelectronics
Principal Engineer – High Speed Optoelectronics
Where Light Meets Digital – EFFECT Photonics is a highly vertically integrated, independent photonic semiconductor company addressing the need for high-performance, affordable optic solutions driven by the ever-increasing demand for bandwidth and faster data transfer capabilities. Our teams are made up of professional, highly skilled, energized, and enthusiastic people who share a passion for developing and creating high-volume, world-class solutions. We operate globally, and our teams work collaboratively to make EFFECT Photonics a very dynamic and rewarding place to work.
About the position
EFFECT Photonics is looking for an experienced – Principal Engineer – High Speed Optoelectronics
We are seeking an experienced Principal Engineer for High-Speed Optoelectronics to join our growing team. This position will own the design and development of our 100G/400G and beyond coherent solutions. You will work across our technical teams and help us to deliver EFFECT Photonics family of integrated photonics solutions to market.
- Work closely with PIC design and package design to co-develop the highspeed RF interfaces
- Support selection and characterization of PMD RFICs and alignment with suppliers
- Perform model extraction, frequency/time domain electrical simulations, device characterization, and debug to validate highspeed interface performance
- Digital-optical integration of next-generation coherent optical transceivers
- Work with PCB layout engineers to complete highspeed interconnect
- Collaborate with package design engineers and vendors to define chip and package SI/PI goals
- EVT planning and execution, including design of required test boards
- Performance characterization of coherent pluggable transceivers, which will include detailed experimental validation of the constituent sub-components that comprise the pluggable, such as the analog, controls, and DSP ASIC
Get In Touch!
We want you to bring your expertise, experience, and passion for engineering in optical systems and products development to the forefront of our organisation, helping us to create a world class company with a world class reputation
Required / Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities
- MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering/Physics or equivalent education
- Experience of developing various transceivers with market success
- Knowledge of coherent transmission
- Knowledgeable of high-speed optoelectronic devices (e.g., lasers, detectors, modulators)
- Familiar with high-speed IC, such as DSP, modulator driver, transimpedance amplifier
- Experience characterizing and troubleshooting high-speed optical transceivers
- Experiences user of HFSS or CST
- Program the test script in Python
- Multi-disciplinary background with a demonstrated record of innovation
- Must have 5 or more years of recent experience in Coherent Optical Communication
- Technical competency in Coherent optical communication technology, digital signal processing, and high-speed optical signal generation and detection
- Experience with high-speed lab equipment such as: TDR, VNA, spectrum analyzer, etc., for lab validation of simulated results
- Good communication skills and a team player
- Candidate will be required to spend majority of time in Maynard, Massachusetts. Partial remote allowed
We are a collaborative Global Technology Company, and we’re building a truly dynamic and rewarding place to work
Reward and Benefits
Benefits are a critical component to consider when taking on a new challenge, but because we are a global company, benefits may vary by location.
Here’s what you can expect from us regardless:
- A fast-paced working culture where everyone’s point of view has real value
- Genuine opportunities for self-development and career growth
- An environment that embraces collaboration
- A competitive salary that reflects our ambition
- A flexible benefits scheme with health and pension plan (401 K – US based roles)
- Paid time off (vacation days) plus statutory annual holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Stock Appreciation Rights (SAR – stock program)
We look forward to receiving your application, if you have any questions, please get in touch with our recruitment team.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - No agencies please!
Effect Photonics is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Effect Photonics complies with all applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.